Thursday, January 15, 2009

Edifice Complex:

Even today there is a strong love for buildings. I want my space and you stay off. I have seen people ask a neighbor to move his fence 1 foot because that one foot was on their property. I saw an ad recently, “buy your internet material from me because I have a warehouse and a showroom.” Wow! If you live in Minnesota I am sure you care about a showroom in Ohio.

I remember watching a TV commercial where a young man drove his father out into the middle of the desert to show him the location of the new warehouse. His father said, “How can we run a business way out here.” His wise son said, “The Internet!”

According to Jargon Database.com an Edifice Complex is defined as “The tendency of politicians to have large buildings and stadiums built as a concrete reminder of their "Legacy". Look around and you don’t have to look far to see business with the same mentality. What they are saying is I want a place where I can bring people to show my importance, control and power. The interesting thing is who is paying for that building?

Well let’s take a look at it from my point of view. YOU! The consumer pays the loan off, the utilities, the open space where products sit and sit and sit allowing you to buy material that may be 2 or 3 years old. You pay for the tow motor that is only used two or three time a week and the driver. You pay for the person stuck behind a desk to answer the phone. Your hard earned dollars pay so some guy or gal can say, “We have a brick and mortar facility with a warehouse.”

Now let’s look at the other side. In today’s market if you are not a manufacturer you can cut the price to a realistic number by keeping your “Edifice” to a realistic space. Yes, I have a warehouse but it is small. It is for bringing in stock for local repeat customers who want to pick it up, but I would not call it a building to the glory of Jon or Steve. It is a small facility to serve those who need it.

I and my office are on the move along with millions of people around the world. In other words where I take my computer I am taking the office. I deal with people from Vermont to Florida, Washington to the tip of California every week. I want them to see http://www.summitfencesupply.com/ as the showroom of the future. If you need to touch the product FedEx will bring a sample it to your door. If you want a load of vinyl fence or a truckload of snow fence it will be shipped to your facility or your home.

I love the future of commerce in the world. I can do business with you anywhere in the world through e-mail or, in some cases, video feed. Let us come to you when and where you are by the touch of your finger.

I would love to hear from you as to your feeling about e-commerce in the now!

Jon Mullender
President
SummitFenceSupply.com
e-mail jon@summitfencesupply.com
Blog summitfencesupply.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment