Sunday, August 30, 2009

People Buy from People they Like and Trust.




I was looking at pictures I received from a customer and realized that he was more than a customer he became a friend. Down in Baton Rouge there is a company named Chris' Speciality Meats owned by Chad and his wife. Chad wanted to put up a privacy fence around his house and contact Summit Fence Supply, LLC.

I remember getting the first phone call from him and instantly liking this man. He was fun to talk to and we really hit it off. Over the next few months we worked on his project using Simtek Stone-like fence. “Chad, when you are done send me some pictures I can put on my website. He said, “Sure will!”

Somehow over the process we became friends. He is not one to pay a penny more for something than is fair and I am not going to gouge a person to make a higher percentage. Some would call that not good business sense but I call it honesty. We have to like what we do and we have to like who we are after the job is done.

I went on to sell Chad gate operators, and even a key pad for his house. I still talk to Chad from time to time and when he calls I know the voice and I am glad to hear it on the other end of the phone.

What have I learned by owning a business?

  • You are responsible for the business environment.
  • You set the ground rules for your customer service. I worked for a company once that would not call people back because the customer might have a problem. That will never be the case with our company.
  • The people you hire are a reflection of you and your philosophy. Make sure you hire people that follow your model and get rid of the ones that don’t.
  • Sell only products that you would use in your house or business. If you can’t sell the best products and warranties get out of business.
  • Factory representatives are people too. They have the right to be treated as friends.

I have been blessed to have my own business coming up on 3 years. I have met people from all over the United States, Mexico and Canada. I have shipped product to Main to Alaska and because of that I have friends all over the country.

Thanks Chad for the pictures.

Jon, Your Fence Man on Wheels
Summit Fence Supply, LLC
summitfencesupply.com





1 comment:

  1. JOHN,
    I WANT TO THANK OYU FOR BEING VERY PATIENT WITH ME. I KNOW I CHANGED MY MIND QUITE OFTEN, YOUR KINDNESS IS VERY APPRECIATED. THE NAME OF MY COMPANY IS NOT SWEET MEATS, IT IS CHRIS' SPECIALTY MEATS. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO INSTALLING MORE FENCE AT MY HOME, TO FINISH THIS 580 FT. OF FENCE. IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS SECOND GUESSING THIS COMPANY OR JOHN, STOP. JOHN IS THE MOST HONEST GUY I HAVE EVER MET ON THE PHONE, EVERYTHING HE SAYS HE DOES. HE WILL MAKE YOUR FENCE PURCHASE EASY AND PAINLESS. ALSO INSTALLATION IS VERY EASY, IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN. IF ALL SALESMAN WERE HONEST LIKE JOHN THEN ALL SALESMAN WOULD BE SALESMAN OF THE YEAR. JOHN YOU ARE A FUNNY GUY, AND I LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING TO YOU SOON.

    ReplyDelete